Syed Tabish

KARACHI: The Karachi Bachao Tehreek (KBT) on Saturday staged a protest-turned-public gathering outside the Karachi Press Club, following negotiations with the Commissioner’s Office over demands related to demolition affectees and compensation claims.
The group had initially planned to march towards the Chief Minister’s House on February 15 but said it agreed to shift the protest venue after being called for talks by district authorities.
Background of the protest
KBT representatives said they had first protested at the Press Club on February 1, demanding plot allotment, restoration of rental compensation and inclusion of “missing IDs” of residents affected by demolitions along Gujjar, Orangi and Mehmoodabad nullahs.
They alleged that despite previous assurances, no concrete response had been received. Hours before the planned demonstration at the CM House, police officials again contacted organizers, urging them to cancel the protest. Subsequently, representatives were invited for dialogue at the Commissioner’s Office.
Following the meeting, the protest was relocated to the Press Club, where organizers briefed participants on the outcome of negotiations.
Key demands
The protesters reiterated that thousands of families displaced under nullah clearance operations were still awaiting plot allotment under a 2022 Supreme Court order, which they claim was later extended to 2027 by the Sindh government.
Among the primary demands are:
- Immediate compensation and plot allotment for over 1,200 “missing IDs” approved by local authorities
- Public disclosure of reasons for rejecting 172 additional ID applications
- Resumption and enhancement of rental cheques — halted since June 2023 — with backdated payments and an increase to Rs30,000 per month in view of rising living costs
- Appointment of a focal person to halt any further demolition beyond the 25-foot limit permitted under court orders
Protesters also demanded clarity on the timeline for plot possession and disbursement of pending construction funds reportedly released but awaiting treasury clearance.
Gul Plaza fire inquiry
KBT linked the demands of nullah affectees with those impacted by the recent Gul Plaza fire, calling for immediate settlement for victims and publication of the Judicial Commission’s audit report after the mandated eight-week period.
They further urged authorities to publicize citywide fire safety plans and building risk assessments, and to ensure third-party, impartial investigations into major fire incidents.


Accountability concerns
The group criticized multiple civic bodies, including the Karachi Development Authority, Sindh Building Control Authority and Karachi Metropolitan Corporation, alleging poor regulatory oversight and lack of coordination in urban planning and safety enforcement.
They also questioned delays in major infrastructure projects funded by international lenders, arguing that incomplete development work has worsened emergency response in densely populated areas.
Assurances from officials
According to KBT, the Assistant Commissioner’s Office committed to:
- Coordinating with KDA to prevent demolition beyond court-approved limits
- Assigning a focal person for affected residents
- Reviewing missing ID cases and sharing updates within 30 days
- Reissuing rental cheques with arrears
- Holding meetings to establish a timeline for plot possession
Officials have not yet issued a formal written statement detailing these commitments.
Next steps
KBT said it would monitor implementation of the assurances and continue peaceful mobilization if demands remain unfulfilled.
The development underscores growing tensions over urban redevelopment, resettlement and safety oversight in Karachi, where infrastructure expansion and environmental concerns continue to intersect with residents’ rights.






















