US and South Korean forces conduct joint military exercises during the Ulchi Freedom Shield drill.
The United States and South Korea have shortened their annual Korea drills from 11 days to five days. The allies also reduced some combined field training.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began on August 17. It will now end on August 21 instead of August 27.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Pentagon official confirmed the changes on Wednesday.
The allies agreed to adjust the exercise’s duration and scope at the US request. They are also reviewing changes to some combined field manoeuvres.
South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back said the allies were cancelling the exercise’s second phase, according to local media reports.
That phase had been expected to focus on counterattack operations following the initial defensive stage.
A US Department of Defense official said the Pentagon had substantially reduced the exercise and related live-training activities.
Some training events have been cancelled. Others have shifted to simulated exercises.
SCO Summit Ishaq Dar Directs Authorities to Complete Hosting Preparations on Time
However, the official said the changes would preserve essential military readiness and training objectives.
The adjustments followed President Donald Trump’s Sunday order to “substantially reduce” US participation.
Trump cited his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un when announcing the move.
Analyst Ellen Kim of the Korea Economic Institute of America said Trump could be pursuing several objectives through the decision.
She said the move could put pressure on Seoul over promised US investments. It could also shift attention from US challenges involving Iran and create another opening for talks with Pyongyang.
Meanwhile, North Korea again criticised the joint exercises on Wednesday.
The official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said Pyongyang would continue to exercise its right to self-defence against what it described as military threats from Washington and Seoul.
North Korea called the United States and South Korea “warmongers” and accused them of increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
However, Pyongyang did not directly mention Trump’s order or the reduction in the exercises.
Hong Min, a researcher at the Korea Institute for National Unification, said North Korea’s decision to issue a commentary rather than a statement from a senior official or conduct a military show of force could indicate that it wants to preserve diplomatic space.
Trump has also pushed his administration to arrange an in-person meeting with Kim Jong Un as early as this autumn, according to a Wall Street Journal report citing US officials.
The report said Trump has discussed meeting Kim during a possible November trip to Asia for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Shenzhen, China.
Reuters said it could not immediately verify the report.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on its North Korea policy or the military exercises.
Trump said on Monday that Kim had responded to his outreach. He did not disclose details about the communication.
North Korea routinely describes US-South Korean military exercises as preparations for an invasion.
Washington and Seoul, however, maintain that the drills are defensive and necessary to maintain readiness against North Korean military threats.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing on Wednesday that neither South Korean nor US officials had known about Trump’s order in advance.
Meanwhile, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung said Tuesday that the Ulchi exercises were defensive.
He added that Seoul had no intention of attacking North Korea or increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
The shortened exercise comes as Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visits South Korea on Wednesday and Thursday. Regional security issues, including developments on the Korean Peninsula, are expected to feature in his talks.
China’s Robot Race is gaining momentum as the country pushes humanoid machines from demonstrations toward…
Apple will charge a 5% commission on digital transactions involving apps distributed outside its App…
Pakistan vs England opened the three-match Test series at Headingley on Wednesday, with England winning…
Brandon Nakashima produced another impressive performance on Tuesday, defeating fourth seed Daniil Medvedev 6-7(3), 7-6(4),…
Fuel Prices have increased in Pakistan, with the federal government raising petrol and high-speed diesel…
Oil Prices rose for a fourth consecutive session on Wednesday as investors assessed uncertainty over…
This website uses cookies.